ERE-383 #91 Kent Edin Rebuild

ERE-382 #91, (Kent Edin Rebuild)
4-Bolt Splayed cap, custom Callies crank at 3.750 stroke, 
Oliver billet rods, Custom Ross blower pistons

510 hp @ 5900 rpm, 474 lb-ft @ 5100 rpm
That's "The" Jim Morgan of Morgan Racing Engines.

Kent needs a new block.  This is it.  The 1st block has been well worn over the past 12 years.

Thankfully the rotating assembly is in good shape.  We have a choice of using Kent's current .040" over pistons or his older .030" over pistons.  The block I have is a .030" over thus we use the .030" pistons.

Thankfully I have a few spare pistons (brand new) which were made by Ross way back in 2007 when I put in the original custom piston order.

The connecting rod is by Oliver and it's a 5.850" with standard 2.100" big end diameter.  This rod is still in good shape after 12 years of 1000 hp engine runs.

Mock up of crankshaft and rods so that I can know how much of the block to grind away for rod bolt clearance.

The 2 spare pistons are anodized black.  The others are top fuel green.
Notices the 6 old pistons look to be in good shape.  They have black tops due to carbon.  They are actually green anodized on the piston top just like the sides and bottom.  Now that I have a good set of used pistons matched to the used rods I can now clearance the block and clean it up to prepare for final assembly.

Actually, let me measure for bearing clearance.  Mostly Clevite H series at standard size.  Just a few spots needed a mix of .001" and standard.

Crank and rods/pistons installed for mock-up to check for rod clearance.  They almost fit without block modification.  These Oliver rods are well designed for stroker clearance.

Just a tiny touch of the block.  Now to grind and clean the block.

Block has been clearanced for connecting rods, (not shown).  And here are the camshaft bearings installed.

Setting up to install the crankshaft.

Here the crankshaft is installed and the main bearing caps are torqued.  Notice at #4 main cap that the studs have less thread engagement than the rest.  That will be fixed later.

2 new pistons and 6 re-used pistons.  This is a new one. (Black anodized instead of top fuel green like the rest).  I also file fitted a fresh set of Total Seal rings.  1.2 mm / 1.2 mm / 3.0 mm.  Steel top, Napier 2nd, 11# oil set.  Ring set CS4708-35.  Gapped at .024" 1st and .020" 2nd.

Oil galley plugs installed.  Camshaft installed.  Same Advanced Induction billet core cam as was in the original engine.  The lobes are in pretty good shape.  This is a mechanical roller design.

Complete short block.

Piston is 0.016" in the hole.  The block is only slightly decked.  I like to have as much deck surface as possible.

This is Kent's cam sensor set up.

Here are the replacement studs for that #4 cap.  These were in the pack of parts that came over from Sweden.  I had only now noticed them.  Good thing I found them.

The Titan Gerotor oil pump.

As much windage tray as I can fit around that big oil pump.

Jeff Johnston custom oil pan.

Now with the ellwein engines logo.

Installing rockers and setting cold lash, (.014")

The pushrods are exhaust 7.700" (.080" wall) and intake 7.650"(.120" wall).  All of these parts are from Kent's previous engine.  The only thing new here is the block.

Spinning up the oil pump to check for oil system soundness.

67 psig

It took 5 minutes to get oil out of every pushrod.

Now setting up for the engine dyno.  The dyno is strictly for testing the general health of the engine and to seat the piston rings.  I don't do tuning on the dyno, (yet).  The coil packs won't be used but no need to remove them from the valve covers just to do the dyno test.

I'm using a single plane intake manifold for this dyno session.

Now with Kent's headers installed.

I drained the oil to make it easier on dyno day set up.  We put the oil temperature probe in the oil pan.

3 photos of the engine after the dyno session. No oil leaks what so ever even though I did not use RTV on the oil pan.  Unfortunately the large headers would not fit on the engine dyno frame and so I used my shop headers.  All else went very well.  The cold lash setting of .014" ended up being .026" hot.  LUCKY!!

Here is the dyno graph.  This is a 12 year old engine, (with a new block).  Pretty good for an old girl.
Here is a link to the original build in 2007:

 Ellwein Engines 2019