ERE-395 #93


ERE-395 #93
4-Bolt Splayed cap 395 short block for twin turbo F-body. 
Callies H-beam rods, Wiseco -32 dish blower pistons
Callies Dragonslayer crankshaft

Callies will be balancing (re-balance) the crankshaft that was supplied by the owner of this engine project.

I'm collecting weights in order to provide this info to Callies.  Wiseco blower pistons with the S718 wrist pin.  Also Swain Tech thermal coating on the piston top.

The rings are Total Seal CSL3690-35

Here is the crankshaft being prepared for shipment to Callies.

The block has been at the main cap machine shop for quite a while.  The guy who does the work is worth waiting on.  Here is the core that I selected.  A 2-bolt LT1 block.

The block will have the bores sonic checked for adequate wall thickness in addition to the standard machining process.

Block has returned from the machine shop with main caps fitted.  Also partial water jacket fill to just under the freeze plugs.

Crankshaft has been balanced to 1751g by Callies

ProGram main caps.

A work in progress.  I've been improving my shop assembly area for ergonomics. 

Callies H-beam rods and King CR807XPN bearings.  Most area at .0025" clearance with a few at .0023".

...A good way to keep things organized especially with the Left-Right pistons.

Ring filing.  I went with .030" gap for 1st ring and .030" gap for 2nd ring.

Top ring is steel and Total Seal has no marking for "UP".  You have to see the tiny bevel on the ring and have that facing up.  I marked them all with an X for up.

Rings installed and pistons in order, (and cleaned with the parts washer one more time).

Photo to document the partial block fill.  This epoxy style fill is to the freeze plugs.  An unfilled block is about 5" from deck to bottom of water jacket.  Here the deck to fill surface is 3.5 to 4", (and so the fill is from 1 to 1.5" thick)

The fill will cause the oil temperature to be higher but generally the water temperature will remain the same.  Most cars run with oil temperature too cold to begin with, especially strip cars.  (with the exception of road track cars).  If you run E85 the water temps will be even cooler.  The block fill will help stabilize the bores under high boost.

Beginning to measure the mains for bearing fitment.

#1-.0025", #2-.0027", #3-.0025", #4-.003", #5-.0035"

Crankshaft set in place to check for stroker clearance.

All pistons/rods installed.  This gives me a pre-check for a few things.  One is piston to deck height, (looking like .010" in the hole).  This usually changes a tiny bit after final assembly and torque.  Second is rod to block clearance.  I found 2 spots that I will be required to grind more.  This photo is just showing top dead center.

Next step is to disassemble completely, grind the block, clean the block, install cam bearings, reassemble rotating assembly with camshaft and timing set installed.

Here is where the block gets a bit of relief to allow for oil drain back at the drivers side front of the cylinder head.

The block gets all of the external sharp casting flash smoothed off.

Touch up paint via POR15 engine black

The block was clearanced at 2 areas for additional rod to block clearance.  Then hot water pressure washed.  Then air dried and oiled with WD40.  Then touch up paint.

I like to thread and tap the front oil gallies.  I use a vented plug at the lifter gallies for timing chain cooling.

Premium Durabond camshaft bearings going in.

Tony Mamo spec camshaft.  Nice billet core.  231/235/115 duration at .050"
.595"/.595" lift with 1.6 rockers.

Thrust is .005"

Timing set provided by engine owner.  This has a few miles of use from it's previous engine.  Using the EFI Connection 24x cam and crank system.  I make sure to loctite the camshaft bolts and make sure the camshaft dowel pin is shortened so as not to drive into the camshaft sensor.

This one Connecting rod needed a bit more clearance at #6 hole.  The rod shoulder on the Compstar rod is already very well clearanced/profiled but it needed just a little more.

Rod side clearance at .020"
Rod bolts are at 75ft-lb.

ARP and Milodon main studs at 80ft-lb with ARP thread lube and oil.  The outer bolts are at 60ft-lb.

Here is the EFI Connection camshaft sensor holder and it shows the typical too long of a camshaft pin, (from previous motor).  I always check this and have seen almost every camshaft with too long of a pin.  They all have to be shortened when using this system and sometimes with the TorqHead.

All buttoned up.

Final check of piston to deck height.  .008" In-The-Hole.

Reusing the previous engine's lifters.  These are LS7 I believe.

I'm using a GMPP lifter guide that mimics the LS lifter guide.  If you want to change the camshaft in the future you won't need to remove the intake manifold.  Just turn the crank 2 rotations and all the lifters stay up in this guide.

Orphan photo that shows the main oil galley plug installed under the rear main cap.  (this photo is from a cell phone boroscope-endoscope).

 Ellwein Engines 2019-2020