ERE-388 #79

ERE 388 #79
Forced induction ERE388 with a custom Callies
Magnum crankshaft, (3.800" stroke), which gives the 388 ci.
The block has a 9.015" deck height and the 
custom Diamond pistons are at 1.115 compression height.
Callies Ultra I-beam connecting rods complete the rotating assembly.

Callies Ultra connecting rod: 6.0"

Diamond blower piston at -25.5cc

Gas ported and with severe duty wrist pins.

Callies is about one month away from having the crankshaft finished but I sent my weights onward to Justin (my Callies account rep).

H13 tool steel pin @ 173g

Calculated @ 1844g bob-weight.

November 3rd, 2017:  Still waiting for the custom crafted crankshaft (Callies).  Here is some block work while we wait.  The Cometic MLS head gasket does not match the LT1 block in the oil return (front left intake valley).  The black sharpie markes where I will grind.

Blurry photo but this is after grinding to allow for oil return.

Here is a grind area of the front left corner (for supercharger).

Block is pressure washed, cleaned with soap and sprayed with oil preserve.

This particular block was "chosen".  It is only slightly decked (the 9.015").  Not all cores allow for the deck to be flat and clean at only 9.015". 

Here is the result of the 4 day painting process.  I paint one side at a time so as not to have runs.

Still waiting on the Ai heads/cam and the crankshaft.

As soon as Callies finishes the custom crankshaft then we will have a shortblock.

The Callies Magnum crankshaft was finished and delivered last week.   Now it's time to assemble the short block while we wait for the Ai TFS heads.

Cam bearing installation.

Magnum crankshaft, (custom), with Big Block Chevy post.

Before doing the main cap bearing clearance I installed the rear main oil galley plug.
Main bearing oil clearance:

#1 = .0025"
#2 = .0024"
#3 = .0024"
#4 = .0027"
#5 = .0037"

All positions used standard size King MB557HP

Rod journal measures to 1.9995"

Before I placed the crankshaft into the block I measured one rod for bearing clearance. (was curious).  Came out to .0025" with the King CR 803HPN bearings and rod bolts at 80ft-lb with ARP lube as per the Ultra-Rods spec sheet.

Here I wanted to show a spot that should always be clean prior to installing the main cap.  Oil will migrate onto this surface, (or dirt).  Just prior to placing the cap on I blow it out with air.

Crank is in and all caps are torqued except for #5.  The feeler gauge thrust is .005"

Crank thrust is .006" with the rear main off and also with the rear main on and torqued.

Mocked up #1 piston/rod and thankfully it comes to zero deck-height.  This was planned many months ago but you never know what it will truly be.

No interference at the crank counterweight.

All rods measured for bearing clearance.  .0022" to .0025"

 Ellwein Engines 2017