ESE-383 #55

ERE 383 #55 Short Bock
Callies Dragonslayer Crankshaft, 
Callies/Compstar Rods, Mahle Pistons


Weighing piston/pin/rings prior to ordering Callies crankshaft.


This is the core block.  It's in very good shape and will be a nice foundation for a 383.


This is the freshly machined block now ready for POR15 engine black.


Callies 3.75" stroke crankshaft with Callies Compstar rods and the Mahle -16cc D-dish pistons.


Watching paint dry. I lay it on pretty thick. This POR15 can look like a powder coating if applied thickly.


Clearanced block for rods and washed.


ARP and Milodon main studs.


Dragonslayer crankshaft.  Balanced at Callies to 1752g bob-weight.


Main bearing clearance around 0.0020" with a mix of standard and .001" Clevite P bearings.


Verification of oil plug.


Check out my new audible torque module.  Rear main cap torqued and thrust/crank end-play is .007"


I just started verifying rod weights.  The Callies Compstar rods were all within 2 grams.  I took 2 grams off 2 of the rod big ends.


Rod journals bearing clearance check.


Standard size Clevite HN give 0.0025"


Installing a few pistons to check for deck height and block clearance.


Good here so far.


Pistons are .005" in the hole.


Here is the tool I use that makes installing the wire lock a breeze.


Piston to wall clearance is .0035"


Piston ring gap:  Top ring at .020"


2nd ring at .018"


Rod side clearance .018"


Rod bolts at .005" stretch (75ft-lb)


I cleaned up a used windage tray and pre-clearanced it for the rod bolts, (bent up and away from the rods).


Cam bearings installed. Short block finished/complete.


The pistons are .005" in the hole.  A good gasket to use might be the GM Impala SS gasket, (.029")

Ellwein Engines 2015